top of page

Coaches Blog

Surviving the Holidays, One Bite at a Time

Updated: Feb 12, 2020

by April Corey

I love food. And I love the holidays. And it always seems that between Thanksgiving and New Year’s, there is FOOD EVERYWHERE! During this six(ish) week time frame, there are all kinds of potlucks, family dinners and friend’s get-togethers. Clients stop by with bags, boxes and trays filled with yummy treats. Food magically appears in the office breakroom (the photo above shows some of what is in our office right now). And it is not just the adults that have the parties, but our kids tend to have just as many gatherings that requires food. The average adult tends to gain 7-10 pounds during this time! Let's not be one of them.

Going into this holiday season, I have put together my Top 10 ways to combat unnecessary weight gain and not eat everything in sight.

  1. Drink plenty of water. Water helps with digestion and will help keep you full.

  2. Live by the 80/20 rule. This means that 80% of your food is healthy and the other 20% is maybe not quite as healthy.

  3. Don’t look at food as if it is evil. You have to eat, but be mindful of the empty calories. Be selective. Don’t just mindlessly eat something just to eat something.

  4. Eat a small, healthy snack before you head over to the party. This will keep you from mowing down the entire food table because you are starving.

  5. Be that person who brings the veggie and fruit tray. And eat from it. Make a cute design with the veggie and fruit tray. People are more apt to eat from it when the veggies are laid out in the shape of a turkey rather than off a boring plastic tray from the grocery store.

  6. Use a smaller plate. Using a dessert size plate rather than a dinner size plate can trick your mind into thinking that you are eating more than you actually are.

  7. Exercise. Aim for 30 minutes of heart pumping exercise a day, 5 days a week. But don’t use exercise as punishment for over enjoying a meal or two.

  8. Socialize. Instead of hovering over the food table at a friendly gathering, take the time to chat with old friends and meet new friends.

  9. Don’t keep the extra leftovers in the refrigerator or around the house. No need to the increase the temptation.

  10. Eat until you are full. NOT stuffed. We all have that line that when we cross over to the dark side of over indulgence, we are miserable.

BONUS TIP: One rule that I made several years ago is that if it is pre-packaged, I will skip it. If someone actually makes a dish or treat with their own hands, out of their own kitchen, I will take a small bite. If it is really good, I may take a second small bite!

Enjoy your holiday season with your family and friends. Hug their necks. Put your phone down and be present with them when you are together.

bottom of page